Salary $54,121.60 – $55,494.40 Annually
Location Colorado Springs, CO
Type of employment Full time
Task number 22147
Closing 03/13/2022 17:00 Mountain
Essential job functions
Salary commensurate with qualifications
Benefits of El Paso County
- work-life balance
- 12 days of vacation (96 hours, accumulated per pay period) annually
- 3 personal days (24 hours) per year
- Hired 1/1-4/30, 3 days (24 hours)
- Hired from 01/05 to 31/08, 2 days (16 hours)
- Hired, 9/1-11/30, 1 day (8 hours)
- 12 sick days (96 hours) per year
- 11 public holidays per year
- Employee Fitness Centers
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance (++click here++ for more information)
- 2 health centers on site
- Retirement plan (++click here++ for more information)
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (++click here++ for more information)
Serves the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office performing various routine unsworn law enforcement duties that do not require carrying a weapon or arrest authority. Conducts criminal investigations in cases that do not require the intervention of a sworn deputy and do not involve suspicious contact. Engages in and leads continuous service improvement efforts in infrastructure and operations. Fosters a business-oriented culture and mindset driven by the opportunity to increase the flow of value to the customer.
- Performs administrative functions, including assisting the public by providing comprehensive information in response to non-emergency service requests, as well as informing the public of county or state code regulations, procedures, or issues; makes referrals to appropriate divisions within the sheriff’s office, other government entities, or community resources, as appropriate; compiles data and researches and/or identifies problems or and recommends solutions based on community policing models.
- Performs investigative work to include handling citizen reports, inquiries and calls for service, conducting interviews with victims and witnesses, collecting and transporting evidence, analyzing information, online/database research data and other investigative tasks as required.
- Prepares detailed reports documenting follow-up to potential investigative leads, interdepartmental memoranda, and other forms.
- Submits evidence for processing to the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office Evidence Facility, the Colorado Springs Police Department’s Metro Crime Lab, and/or the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for DNA or other evidence of probative value.
- Testify in court if necessary.
- Communicates and serves as a liaison with other agencies.
- May organize meetings and make presentations to community and school groups, write articles and prepare marketing materials related to law enforcement and crime prevention activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent training required. College-level courses in the field of criminal justice preferred.
- One (1) year of full-time administrative and customer service/public contact experience is required. Previous law enforcement experience preferred.
- Knowledge of state laws and statutes as well as local regulations, ordinances and laws regarding areas of responsibility.
- Must be honest, truthful, trustworthy and possess personal integrity.
- Ability to work closely with and under the direction of sworn personnel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook and Excel) and ability to use office equipment effectively, including computers, printers, telephones and photocopiers.
- Computer-based investigative skills preferred.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with colleagues, other county staff, other agencies and the public.
- Must have strong analytical skills, have the ability to provide accurate information and possess a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks and ability to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work independently without supervision.
- Ability to perform under pressure and in front of people acting under stress.
- Maintain a regular and punctual presence.
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience may replace the education and experience requirements above.
- Must pass Conditional Job Offer background investigation, truth check examination, motor vehicle record check, drug screening and physical examination.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado driver’s license.
- Must possess and maintain National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and Colorado Crime Information Center (CCIC) certifications within three (3) months of employment.
- Must possess and maintain any other certifications or complete required training in accordance with standards established by organization policy.
Work is primarily performed in the field under conditions such as extreme weather, communicable disease, and potential exposure to unpleasant crime scene conditions. Must be available to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays. Must be able to sit, stand, walk, climb, stoop and bend for long periods of time. Must have the ability to push, pull, lift and/or carry 25 lbs frequently and 50 lbs occasionally. Potential exposure to hostile or aggressive individuals and criminal suspects.
This job advertisement is not intended to include all of the duties, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position; however, it is representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Applications must be filed online; each applicant is considered only for the currently vacant position listed on that particular application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to monitor any future openings and submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For inquiries, please call (719) 520-7486. Each new and rehired employee must provide work authorization documentation, as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603).
EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER